Skip to main content

Financial incapability and Adult Guardianship Act


What is the Certificate of Incapability Process?

Health authorities can issue certificates of incapability under the Adult Guardianship Act, for adults who they find to be incapable of managing finances. The adult cannot have an appointed substitute decision maker for managing finances or have a substitute decision maker that the health authority believes is not complying with their duties. 

​​Issuing a certificate of incapability is a significant decision because it results in a loss of independence and autonomy for the adult, as the Public Guardian and Trustee becomes Committee of Estate/Statutory Property Guardian to manage the adult’s finances.

The Statutory Property Guardianship Regulation, requires that an assessment include both a medical and functional component. It sets out which health care providers, in addition to physicians, are qualified to conduct the functional component of the assessment to determine incapability for managing financial affairs. Registered Psychiatric Nurses (RPNs) are among several disciplines that may be qualified, provided they meet any standards, limits, and conditions set by their respective regulatory colleges.​

Which RPNs can conduct a functional assessment?

Any RPN that has met the BCCNM Scope of Practice for RPNs: Standards, Limits and Conditions (section 4.2.3), subject to their employer’s policies, may conduct the functional component of the assessment to determine incapability for managing financial affairs.

Can RPNs issue certificates of incapability?

A health authority may designate specific people as having the authority to issue certificates of incapability on behalf of the health authority; this person can be an RPN. Speak to your employer to learn who is designated within your agency.

Where can I find more information?

​​Need help or support?​

For further guidance on understanding and applying the standards of practice, contact our team by completing the Standards Support intake form.​

900 – 200 Granville St
Vancouver, BC  V6C 1S4

​Toll-free 1.866.880.7101 (within Canada only) ​

We acknowledge the rights and title of the First Nations on whose collective unceded territories encompass the land base colonially known as British Columbia. We give specific thanks to the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ speaking peoples the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) and sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations and the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh-ulh Sníchim speaking Peoples the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation), on whose unceded territories BCCNM’s office is located. We also give thanks for the medicines of these territories and recognize that laws, governance, and health systems tied to these lands and waters have existed here for over 9000 years.

We also acknowledge the unique and distinct rights, including rights to health and wellness, of First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples from elsewhere in Canada who now live in British Columbia. As leaders in the settler health system, we acknowledge our responsibilities to these rights under international, national, and provincial law.​