Skip to main content
​​BCCNM accepts nursing education and practice in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States as largely comparable to registered nursing practice in Canada. If you were educated in one of these countries, you may be able to get registered more quickly.  

You will not have to complete a competency assessment if: 

  1. ​​You graduated from an approved registered nurse (RN) nursing program in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States that led to your initial RN registration; AND
  2. Within the last five years you graduated from that nursing program OR practiced 1,125 hours as a nurse (confirmed by your employer)

If you meet these requirements, you still need to apply to Inspire Global Assessments (formerly NCAS) so they can assess your credentials and English language proficiency. 

Please note: If you do not meet the requirements above, or if you graduated from a mental health nursing program (UK applicants only), you will be required to complete a competency assessment through Inspire. 


Final requirements

Once you have submitted all documents requested by BCCNM and Inspire Global Assessments delivers the Inspire applicant package to BCCNM, the Registration team will review your application and set the final requirements you must meet before you are eligible for registration. You will be asked to complete the following: 
Coursework to prepare you for the Canadian health system
While your education and practise are considered largely comparable, you will need to complete one of the courses below to learn about the Canadian context of practice and health system. You can take the course at any time.

Introduction to the Canadian Healthcare System & Nursing in Canada (PNUR 9101)
Kwantlen Polytechnic University


Professional growth (HLTH3611)
Thompson Rivers University

Please contact the schools for more information on admission to the course. Once you have completed the coursework, please have the school send BCCNM confirmation of your course completion.
Transitional practice experience
After BCCNM has confirmed that you completed one of the required courses (above), you will be eligible for provisional registration and will be required to complete a transitional practice experience (TPE). A TPE will evaluate your current practice to ensure you can practise safely.


  • You must complete 250 hours of practice with one employer.
  • Prior to starting your TPE, you will have to consent to a criminal record check
  • You must be granted provisional registration by BCCNM before you start your TPE, and you must complete the TPE within one year of being granted provisional registration.
  • You will need to find your own employer for the purpose of completing the TPE. Health Match BC​ may be able to help you find an employer.
  • Once you have confirmed a position with an employer, please provide your manager's name and contact information to the registration monitoring consultant at
  • When you have completed 250 hours of practice, a representative of your employer (e.g. a supervisor, manager, nurse educator, or nurse leader) who has directly observed you and can evaluate your practice must complete a short BCCNM Employee Evaluation Form​. This form must be sent directly to BCCNM by the person completing the evaluation to

See the list of FAQs about TPE. ​

Information for employers

The level of oversight needed for a provisional IEN completing a TPE is similar to that of a new hire/orientee. The individual completing the TPE will have had previous nursing experience and meets BCCNM's entry to practice criteria.

  • Once the provisional RN registrant has practised 250 hours, a short Employee Evaluation form must be completed by a supervisor, manager, nurse educator, or nurse leader.
  • The evaluation assesses the registrant's ability to provide safe, competent, and ethical care.
  • The individual completing the evaluation form must have knowledge of nursing scope and competence, and have directly observed the registrant's practice.
  • The person completing the evaluation must send the completed form directly to BCCNM at​.
​Regulatory exam
Once you have been granted provisional registration, you will be eligible to write and pass the RN regulatory exam, the NCLEX-RN. BCCNM will send you instructions to register for the exam when you are eligible to write it.

If you have already passed the NCLEX-RN, you do not have to write it again. Please have the State Board send a verification directly to BCCNM that provides the date you wrote the NCLEX-RN and your result.

900 – 200 Granville St
Vancouver, BC  V6C 1S4

​Toll-free 1.866.880.7101 (within Canada only) ​

We acknowledge the rights and title of the First Nations on whose collective unceded territories encompass the land base colonially known as British Columbia. We give specific thanks to the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ speaking peoples the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) and sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations and the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh-ulh Sníchim speaking Peoples the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation), on whose unceded territories BCCNM’s office is located. We also give thanks for the medicines of these territories and recognize that laws, governance, and health systems tied to these lands and waters have existed here for over 9000 years.

We also acknowledge the unique and distinct rights, including rights to health and wellness, of First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples from elsewhere in Canada who now live in British Columbia. As leaders in the settler health system, we acknowledge our responsibilities to these rights under international, national, and provincial law.​