Skip to main content

Internationally-educated midwives

Information for internationally-educated midwives on how to become a registered midwife in B.C.

Important notice about account creation


STO​P! Please do not create an account unless you meet one of the following eligibility criteria:


Midwives eligible to practise in Canada

Internationally educated midwives

Internationally educated midwives cannot apply directly to BCCNM until they have met the requirements for registration with the college. Please do not create an account until you meet the eligibility criteria. ​​

​Midwifery bridging programs​

If you are an internationally educated midwife (IEM) who wishes to register to practice midwifery in B.C., you must first complete the Internationally Educated Midwives Bridging Program​ (IEMBP) at Univ​ers​​ity of British Columbia in B.C. 

The midwifery bridging program supports midwives who have been educated outside of Canada in making the transition to working in the Canadian health care system and in the B.C. midwifery model of practice. 


Graduates of the recognized midwifery bridging programs must also write and pass the Canadian Midwifery Registration Examination​ (CMRE) before being eligible for midwifery registration in B.C. Applicants who have not yet written the exam may be eligible for provisional registration. Learn more under "how to apply" below.

How to apply

If you have completed a midwifery bridging program, you can apply for registration with BCCNM as a graduate of a recognized midwifery education program​.  

While most IEMs will be eligible for practising midwife registration after completion of a recognized bridging program, some may not meet the requirements for practising midwife registration and will be eligible for provisional midwife registration only. 

Please note: All documents written in a language other than English are required to be translated by a professional translator showing their signature and seal and must be submitted with a copy of the original document. All documents (verifications, references, transcripts, etc.) must come directly from the translation service to BCCNM. The only exception is an ID document which can be submitted with translation by the applicant.​

Provisional regi​stra​​tion

If you do not meet all the requirements for practising midwife registration you may be eligible for provisional midwife registration. Under provisional registration, you may practice the full scope of midwifery pending a successful result of the Canadian Midwifery Registration Examination (CMRE). Provisional midwife registration may also be granted with limits and conditions while completing educational upgrading courses or a period of supervised practice during a monitored and specific time frame to address deficiencies in the knowledge, skills, or abilities required for practising midwife registration.​

​If you have questions about the information above, please contact BCCNM Registration Services at or 604.742.6200 (1.866.880.7101 toll-free within Canada only).